Thursday 3 October 2013

Sewing for Autumn...

Two weeks ago I was in Brighton (first time) and I did not only enjoy the seaside but also had to go into several fabric shops. My poor boyfriend was dragging along (carrying my purchases) and when we left the forth fabric shop he looked quite exhausted. Hm, I wonder why this was?

I tried to buy fabrics that I can use to make autumn dresses and blouses. I managed to do color wise but fabric wise I always end up with cotton poplin's. Having accumulated a lovely stash, I sat down and tried to organise my autumn sewing and here is what I came up with:

Colette Hawthorn
I wanted to make another Hawthorn for ages and this time version 3 which is sleeve less. As I have made the blouse and dress before, this hopefully should be a quick make. I bought some petrol blue eyelet fabric in Walthamstow the other day and will underline the dress with a peach coloured lining.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


McCalls M6167
I love these blouses! And I wear them loads in autumn with a leggings or tights. I will make version D and C. Both have a waistband and version C even has some pleats. I will start with version D to get the perfect fit :) I bought both fabrics in Brighton and the blue white one was only 1.50£/meter, so I will start with this one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Simplicity 6908
I got the pattern from a swap at the blogger meet-up in Goldhawk Road. I have never made a dress with princess seams before, so fitting will be a challenge. I decided to use a dark purple jersey and will make the sleeveless version. The dress has a centre back zipper, but maybe I can omit this one if my jersey has enough stretch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Corduroy
I bought this corduroy ages ago in Goldhawk Road. It is only 1 meter and I got is for 1£ only. I hope to squeeze out a pair of shorts having seen Charlies (thisblogisnotforyou) lovely end of summer shorts. The pattern is Burda 07/2013 #105A.

 
Carlie's shorts!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I bought this pattern in march because it promises to fit amazing. Let's see if that is true. I will make it from this lovely rose poplin. I love these flowery cottons but somehow have hardly made anything in them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Some Jersey from Walthamstow market.
I still have to get started with sewing knits and found this really great tutorial from Elle at elleapparel of how to make your own dress from a T-shirt! I am really looking forward to try this out :)
Elles lovely dress.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite a long list! But as I have holidays for the next week, I hopefully get some sewing done. I am not really efficient today as my man is lying ill on the couch and requires my attention. A lot. You know how they are when they are ill - like little babies :)

Did you had a look through your wardrobe and have decided what to sew next? Which fabrics do you usually use for autumn sewing? I don't have much experience with all the different fabric yet, so I am looking forward to your comments :)

10 comments:

  1. You have some gorgeous things planned here! I love that embroidered cord and it'll make very cute sorts. I'm planning a couple of knit wrap dresses and bought some of the lovely knit fabric Dibs shared a few days ago. I've also got some stretch cord jeans lined up. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will not be too difficult to make shorts! That will be my first attempt on trousers, yeah, and on cord as well :) I saw the fabric Dibs posted about and I even checked on ebay, but I managed to resist. Which fabric did you get in the end?

      Delete
  2. Wow, lots of lovely things there. Look forward to seeing them made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having holidays at the moment, so hopefully that will give me a head start with all these projects :)

      Delete
  3. Princess seams can be a little fiddly to sew but deliver the best fit results. Jersey should help but resist the urge to to stretch out your fabric. They're also relatively easy to adjust if required. Good luck with your lovely sewing list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip not to stretch the fabric. I wouldn't have thought of that. I think I will make a normal cotton muslin first to test the fit of the princess seams. Exciting!

      Delete
  4. Ooh I love the petrol eyelet, the rose poplin and the Walthamstow jersey the best! Good luck with all the sewing. I'm planning on making a dark orange dress (cotton lawn) and hoping to knit a fawn Miette cardi to match...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am sure there will be other temptations on the way :) I am looking forward to your dress, orange is such a lovely autumn color! I am knitting the Miette as well. I am almost finished with the bust shaping and it looks already like a cardigan :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love all the things you plan to sew! I love that fabric combination you have picked out for the hawthorn. I am a sucker for anything teal coloured, and I really want to make the Hawthorn - patten is going on my birthday list (now that I sew, I actually have a birthday list for the first time in years!). I love your two floral print fabrics too. I've also just put myself together a list - I have a week off work the week after next and I'm just going to use it to sew, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope they will not only stay plans :) I think you will have loads of fun putting the Hawthorn together! Colette patterns even have a sew-along that you can follow if you want. Enjoy your sewing holidays! Mine is almost over and I hardly managed to sew what I wanted to.

      Delete

Related posts

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...