Saturday 22 February 2014

I made an apron - let's get baking!

I felt a little bit as if I would be cheating on my stash diet when I made this cute apron :) And actually having finished it and seeing the fabrics together, I thought they would have made a nice dress as well. But too late, now they make a cute apron!

I felt a bit embarrassed taking pictures outside in the garden, but our kitchen is
too dark and was a mess when these pics were taken!

Pattern: I used the free pattern from Amy hearts it. It is easy to follow and I finished the apron in about 2 hours - but I sewed slow and was cutting the fabric whenever I needed the next bit.

Fabric: I used two fabrics from my stash, yeah, that I got at a blogger meet-up last year. I still have some leftovers, but these will go into a quilt! I love stripy binding.

The apron does not reach the bum, but I don't mind because I always
wipe my hands on the front :)
Construction: I finished the insides with french seams, because I didn't want any raw edges to show. I made the apron strings from the whole width of the fabric, because I wanted to tie them in the front. I also sewed them right sides together and then turned the right side out. Other than that, I followed Amy's instructions.

You can just make out the pleats under the waist seam.


Have I worn it yet? I have! I actually made the apron two weeks ago and now that I am daily in the kitchen, I really need it.

Do I like it? Loads! I feel pretty in it :) I love the big bows, its gathered neckline and the little pleats at the waist. I couldn't have asked for more.

And one more from the back!



12 comments:

  1. Very cute! The fabrics go nice together. Good idea to do the french seams too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the stripy waistband! I have also worn mine loads in the last few days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually gave me the idea to match the fabrics, Charlie! I love yours as well.

      Delete
  3. That's so cute! I love pretty aprons, but I always make such a mess in the kitchen that I hate to wear them - I always end up using my old dingy ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! I love to wear the apron, because otherwise I am the one who will looks messy as well :) I also have the bad habit to wear my nice clothes when cooking. Working on that ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I love how the fabrics go together, but I would have had trouble envisioning those two together if they were just in my stash and not sewn up. Love how it turned out! Do you have any exciting recipes to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. I was also very surprised how great the two fabrics go together! I just gave it try, because it is just an apron! I am one of these people who only cook after recipe books, so unfortunately I can't really share a recipe. But my favorite cakes are Jamie Oliver's Lemon Cake and a salted caramel cake (I can't remember the baker, but it is from Norway).

      Delete
  5. Lovely apron - always good to be able to make something practical that's nice and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is even better if it is something practical to wear :) Thanks, Ruth.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! The two fabrics match so nicely. You can now be a chef on a cruise ship! :) I love the shape of your apron too, but I don't think I can get myself to sew one, as I have about ten aprons received as gifts from my mom-in-law. None of them so pretty as yours, though...
    Enjoy your cooking/sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought as well that the apron looks like out of a nautical theme :) Wow ten aprons! That's a lot. You can wear a different one each time of the week.

      Delete

Related posts

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...